Can you mix CBD with beer? Apparently, you can. Brewers have spent years trying to create the best CBD beer that not only has an authentic barley taste but also offers the health benefits that come with cannabis.
While there aren’t any studies that prove the effectiveness of CBD when paired with alcohol, there’s more than enough anecdotal evidence to convince any beer lover to give cannabis beer a try. And good stories are what bring beer drinkers together, right?
Despite the growing interest in CBD beer, it’s challenging to find beer companies that managed to navigate the legal maze around cannabis. Many states don’t allow the sale of products that contain a combination of alcohol and cannabis, even those made with non-psychoactive cannabis extracts like CBD.
Plus, you want to make sure the cannabis used in the alcoholic beverage doesn’t have any psychoactive effects. We took this into account when putting together our review. R
1. Two Flowers IPA by Coalition Brewing
Two Flowers IPA is exactly what it sounds like. It’s made from two plants: hemp and hops.
More specifically, this product contains hemp juice, which enhances the natural bitterness and citrus aftertaste of hops.
Not to mention, Coalition Brewing’s website is an invaluable resource for information on the safety and health benefits of cannabis. It does an excellent job of laying out what you can expect when you drink CBD beer.
We believe Two Flowers IPA is the best CBD beer on our list, and we probably aren’t the only ones who hold this opinion. In fact, the brewery has been named of one the 7 best breweries in Portland by Gear Patrol and the best brewery of 2010 by The New School Beer.
- All-natural ingredients
- Domestically grown cannabis
- Many resources on their website regarding CBD
- Only available in the Oregon and Washington area
2. George Washington’s Secret Stash by Dad & Dudes Breweria
Dad & Dudes Breweria have created and patented one of the first CBD recipes in the country.
The end result? A high concentration CBD beer that has already attracted a ton of attention from the press and built a large community of CBD beer lovers on Facebook.
Unfortunately, if you want to try their beer, you have to pay a visit to Aurora, Colorado.
- All-natural ingredients
- Patented formula
- High-concentration CBD (500 mg per pint)
- Large community on social media
- Not available to buy online
3. High Flyer Session IPA by Green Times Brewing
Green Times Brewing is attracting a lot of attention from the press–and for good reason. Their beer is made from organic ingredients. Plus, it’s mixed with full-spectrum CBD and comes with a refreshing citrus aftertaste.
The only downside is that you can only get it in the UK.
- Full-spectrum CBD
- Organic ingredients
- Citrus aftertaste
- Short response time from customer service representatives on social media
- Only available online for wholesalers
What Current Research Says About Mixing Alcohol and Cannabis Together
While there isn’t enough research to come to a final conclusion about the effects of drinking CBD beer, there are a few studies that provide clues on the matter.
One study found that CBD can slow down the neurodegeneration caused by alcohol over prolonged periods of time in rats.
There’s another study conducted on rodents that shows if CBD is ingested a few minutes before alcohol, it can reduce the oxidative damage in the liver.
Again, these studies weren’t conducted on humans, but the current research is a good starting point in understanding how your body may react when you consume a CBD-infused alcoholic beverage.
- Cannabidiol protects liver from binge alcohol-induced steatosis by mechanisms including inhibition of oxidative stress and increase in autophagy.
- Transdermal delivery of cannabidiol attenuates binge alcohol-induced neurodegeneration in a rodent model of an alcohol use disorder
- LEARN MORE ABOUT TWO FLOWERS AND CBD
- Green Times Brewing
- BEST OF THE YEAR Winners of 2010
- DUDE’S BREWS
- Beerlandia: 7 Breweries to Visit in Portland
- Cannabis-Infused Beer Was Just Approved for Sale